Quick escape
See Categories

South Australia steps up to prevent violence against women and their children

August 08 2014 By Hannah Grant, Media Relations Officer, Our Watch

Chair of the Foundation to Prevent Violence against Women and their Children (the Foundation), Natasha Stott Despoja AM, has applauded South Australia’s four year commitment to prevent violence against women and their children.

Photo of Natasha Stott Despoja smiling. Image


South Australia has announced it will join the Commonwealth, Northern Territory, and Victorian Governments in support of the Foundation, an independent, not for profit organisation working to raise awareness and engage the community in action to prevent violence against women and their children.

Ms Stott Despoja said that violence against women should be a priority for all governments.

“We need a national commitment to ending violence that is built upon collaboration across the community and endorsement from all governments,” Ms Stott Despoja said.

“The way we treat men and women, girls and boys is fundamental to addressing violence against women and children.

“We must establish equality between men and women in families, communities, organisations and society as a whole.

“South Australia’s commitment brings us one step closer to ending violence against women,” she said.
The prevalence of domestic violence in Australia cannot be understated:

  • One woman is killed almost every week by a male partner or ex-partner – often while she istrying to leave the relationship.
  • 1 in 3 women experience physical violence and 1 in 5 women experience sexual violencesince the age of 15
  • More than a third of women who experienced violence by a previous partner (34%) said that their children had witnessed the violence.

Established in July 2013, the Foundation focusses on strategies that seek to prevent violence before it occurs.
This approach targets the deeply ingrained attitudes, beliefs and distorted values that give rise to men’s violence against women and engages the institutions that reinforce, allow or do not challenge these attitudes.

“Together we can work to end violence against women and their children. It’s time to speak out and take action on Our Watch,” Ms Stott Despoja said.

Media contact

For enquiries or further information: Hannah Grant, Our Watch, mobile 0448 844 930, email Hannah.Grant@ourwatch.org.au

*If you cover this story, or any story regarding violence against women and children, please include the following tagline:
“If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault or family violence, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or visit www.1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000”

About Our Watch 

Our Watch’s (previously the Foundation to Prevent Violence against Women and their Children) purpose is to raise awareness and engage the community in action to prevent violence against women and their children.
 
Our Watch was conceived of and brought into existence in 2013 by the Commonwealth of Australia and the State of Victoria. The Northern Territory and South Australian governments have also since become members of the organisation.
 
Our Watch’s work derives from the government’s commitment to the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children 2010 – 2022 and gives expression to many of the activities in the Second Action Plan 2013–2016 – Moving Ahead.